City of London Open Spaces
Ongoing Catering Advisory Services
The City of London Open Spaces Department manages 4,330 hectares of some of the finest open spaces located in and around London: 120 small parks and gardens within the Square Mile, Hampstead Heath, Epping Forest, Highgate Woods, Queens Park and Farthing Downs to name but a few. The department is responsible for the management of these spaces for the recreation and enjoyment of the public. This work includes the conservation, restoration, refurbishment and development of the elements that make up these varied and historic landscapes. Visitor services include cafes and kiosks, which are let to third party operators on a lease basis.
Boyd-Thorpe Associates (BTA) is proud to have worked with the City of London Open Spaces Department since 2002; providing catering consultancy advice across a range of diverse projects, sites and business models.
Leveraging wide knowledge of open space catering BTA has guided each open space superintendent in best practise, clarified and raised commercial expectations and, in turn, helped to deliver both higher service standards and improved rental incomes across all sites.
- Financial training for cafÃ© manager at Queens Park CafÃ©
- Feasibility study for Parliament Hills Lido CafÃ©
- Market appraisal for Butlers Retreat CafÃ©, Epping Forest
- Renegotiation of ice cream concession at West Ham Park
- Feasibility study and business plan for the Beeches CafÃ© in Burnham Beeches
- Kitchen design for the Beeches CafÃ©
- Management of competitive tender for the Beeches CafÃ©, Burnham Beeches
- Health and safety/food safety audits for concessions in Epping Forest
- Lease renegotiations for the cafÃ©s at Golders Hill, Parliament Hill, Queens Park and Highgate Woods
- Benchmarking exercise
- Mystery diners
- Operational support to cafÃ© tenants
"I don't know anyone else who has what Fiona Boyd-Thorpe has - her knowledge of catering within 'open spaces'
is second to none. I see Fiona as an ally who can assess and benchmark caterers and catering solutions for you.
I really value her experience for that.â€ Director, City of London Open Spaces